I made this the other night and thought I must share as it was simply delicious and easy to put together while cooking dinner. It’s 8:40pm, all three children are in bed and I’ve just finished the last of this…SO DELICIOUS! I think it’s the blackberries that make it so good – so I suggest you don’t leave them out!
I’d love to know what you think in the comments below 🙂
From the pantry…
- 5 organic apples – peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 cup of frozen blackberries
- 1/2 vanilla bean – seeds scraped (I also throw the pod into the apples while cooking)
For the Crumble
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup rapadura or brown sugar (or your choice of sweetener)
- 30 grams of butter (room temperature)
- Begin by preparing the apple – peeling, coring and cutting wedges.
- Place apples, 1/2 cup of filtered water and vanilla bean seeds + pod in a saucepan on a low heat with lid ajar. Simmer apples until tender, add more water or turn heat down to stop from sticking.
- While the apples are simmering, prepare the crumble, by mixing together all the dry ingredients.
- Once dry ingredients combined, rub in butter with your fingertips until the mixture has the texture of wet sand.
- Once apples are tender remove vanilla bean pod and pouring off cooking liquid (pour this into a jar to drink if you like)
- Place apples into a baking dish, along with frozen blackberries. (If apples are very tart, you could add a sprinkling of rapadura or raw cane sugar.)
- Using your fingers sprinkle crumble over apples and
- Bake in a moderate oven 180’C/ 356’F for approx. 15- 20 minutes until golden (Mine is a little burnt in the photo but still super delicious!)
- Enjoy along side some fresh cream, yogurt (dairy or coconut) or some homemade ice cream.
I’m sure your little ones will love it as much as mine do.