I made this the other night and thought I must share as it was simply delicious and easy to put together while cooking dinner. It’s 8:40pm, all three children are in bed and I’ve just finished the last of this…SO DELICIOUS! I think it’s the blackberries that make it so good – so I suggest you don’t leave them out!
I’d love to know what you think in the comments below 🙂
From the pantry…
- 5 organic apples – peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 cup of frozen blackberries
- 1/2 vanilla bean – seeds scraped (I also throw the pod into the apples while cooking)
For the Crumble
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup rapadura or brown sugar (or your choice of sweetener)
- 30 grams of butter (room temperature)
- Begin by preparing the apple – peeling, coring and cutting wedges.
- Place apples, 1/2 cup of filtered water and vanilla bean seeds + pod in a saucepan on a low heat with lid ajar. Simmer apples until tender, add more water or turn heat down to stop from sticking.
- While the apples are simmering, prepare the crumble, by mixing together all the dry ingredients.
- Once dry ingredients combined, rub in butter with your fingertips until the mixture has the texture of wet sand.
- Once apples are tender remove vanilla bean pod and pouring off cooking liquid (pour this into a jar to drink if you like)
- Place apples into a baking dish, along with frozen blackberries. (If apples are very tart, you could add a sprinkling of rapadura or raw cane sugar.)
- Using your fingers sprinkle crumble over apples and
- Bake in a moderate oven 180’C/ 356’F for approx. 15- 20 minutes until golden (Mine is a little burnt in the photo but still super delicious!)
- Enjoy along side some fresh cream, yogurt (dairy or coconut) or some homemade ice cream.
I’m sure your little ones will love it as much as mine do.
Hi I’m Natalie,
I help women create magical rituals to celebrate milestones & the passing seasons with their children. Let's ignite your joy and create moments of beauty, intention & magic.